Blue Ridge Biofuels is a sustainable, community fuel provider committed to:
- Building Western North Carolina’s alternative energy economy
- Producing affordable, clean biofuels for our community
- Catalyzing community development, local jobs, and biodiesel education
We offer structured, educational internships to people from all walks of life interested in clean, local, renewable energy. Our internships are a great way to gain knowledge and experience in the green economy of WNC. We strongly believe in being a part of our larger community and offering educational internships is one way we can fulfill that goal. Our internships are meant to help prepare you for a job in the sustainability sector and you will come away with real experience and results to include on your resume. We unfortunately are unable to accept international interns at this time.
Our internships typically last for three months (spring, summer, fall, or winter term) and have set weekly schedules. However we offer flexible scheduling to work with your class load or other work schedule.
Interns can choose from one of two areas of focus at each of our locations: Production at our manufacturing facility in Newton, NC or Administration at our headquarters in Asheville, NC.
Items to Note:
- Our internships are unpaid, educational training opportunities that adhere to the US Department of Labor's internship guidelines.
- While some of our interns have gone on to employment with our company, an internship is not an automatic pathway to paid work due to our small staff size.
- We offer a modest monthly stipend to our interns to assist with expenses. We also provide uniforms and work boots to production interns.
- We do not provide any assistance with housing in Asheville. There are two hostels and many sublets available via Craig's List, UNCA dorms, Airbnb, and online searches.
- In Newton, interns can stay free of charge at a house that we rent down the street from the production plant. There are no hostels in Newton, but rentals are available as well.
- We unfortunately are unable to accept international interns at this time.
Interns work on special projects during their time with us, including:
- Process optimization
- Lab testing and quality control
- Business management and accounting
- Public relations and marketing
- Education and outreach
- Grant writing for pilot projects
- Legislative liaison
Our interns work on real world projects. Some examples include: developing a soap product from our waste glycerin for commercialization, working on our BQ9000 quality management system, creating marketing materials, and working on the F3: Field to Fryer to Fuel project.
Katie Estridge, a lab intern in the fall of 2012, had this to say about her internship:
“The best thing about this internship was the opportunity to apply my knowledge of a subject to a practical and sustainable application. I had been anxiously awaiting a chance to do this throughout my academic career, and finally getting a chance to fulfill that desire was incredibly rewarding…. I am proud to contribute to the biodiesel industry and I feel especially privileged to be involved with this company.”
Because of her great efforts at Blue Ridge Biofuels, Katie went on to work at the Global Institute for Sustainable Technology at AB Tech and is now a science teacher at Madison County public schools.
If you are interested in interning with us, please fill out the Internship Application below and send it to us along with your resume and at least two references and someone from our staff will contact you shortly. We look forward to meeting you!
Send your application, resume, and references via:
Mail: PO Box 2896 Asheville, NC 28802